Rules and Regulations at BCPL
To ensure the efficient and safe conduct of library business in and around the Broome County Public Library, library patrons must abide by the BCPL Code of Conduct published here. In addition to these rules and regulations, patrons are asked to also abide by the Library's Unattended Children Policy. Any patron who violates these rules and regulations may be subject to a penalty, which may include permanent expulsion from the library.
BCPL Patron Code of Conduct
To efficiently and safely conduct library business in and around the Broome County Public Library, the Board of Trustees has adopted the following rules and regulations. These apply both to patron conduct with other patrons and patron conduct with staff members:
- Patrons will respect the rights of other patrons and library staff at all times. They may not interfere with staff or the performance of their duties and will comply with lawful direction given by them.
- Any illegal activities on library property, including the use of alcohol or illegal drugs and/or the possession of weapons of any kind are prohibited. In addition, loitering or panhandling on the library property or grounds will not be tolerated.
- Any sort of disruptive behavior, including sexual harassment, the use of abusive, obscene or threatening language, exhibitionism, voyeurism, nudity of any kind, including bare feet and/or bare chests and/or the use of cell phones and/or pagers is prohibited.
- Patrons will utilize facilities for purposes normally associated with a library, but not sleeping, bathing or washing clothes, using skateboards, in-line skates, balls, etc. Bicycles and other wheeled vehicles must be left outside the building.
- Animals are prohibited in the building except those specifically designated as service animals.
- Parents, guardians or caregivers are responsible for the safety, behavior and supervision of their children at all times in the library and on library property as per the library’s Unattended Children’s Policy. Adult persons shall not use any Youth Services or Young Adult space to participate in any age-based programs when not a parent, legal guardian, caregiver, educator or relative of a participating age-appropriate child.
- Patrons shall not deface or mar library materials, furnishings, walls, equipment or any other library property. This includes placing feet on furniture, walls or computer columns and removing screens from computers. Patrons may not rearrange or disarrange library furnishings or materials.
- Food and beverages are prohibited except in specifically designated areas. Smoking and the use of e-cigarettes is banned from ALL Library property, including inside the building.
- Cameras, camcorders or any other video recording devices may not be used unless prior permission of the Library Director is received.
- Posting or distribution of promotional material of any kind or the sale of goods is forbidden by any person or agency other than the Broome County Library except by permission of the Library Director.
- Patrons shall check out with a valid library card all materials and/or equipment removed from the library.
Enforcement: Any patron who violates these rules and regulations may be required to leave the library premises and be denied the privilege of access to the library. The Library Administrative Staff, whose authority shall prevail in all cases, shall administer and enforce the above code in a fair and reasonable manner. The Library Administration is authorized to modify and/or adapt the code to special circumstances. Violations of the code that do not constitute an immediate and apparent threat to the safety of others, their property, or the property of the library will result in disciplinary action, including, but not limited to, verbal warning, temporary expulsion from the library, suspension of the right to use or participate in some or all of the library’s services for a period of time, or permanent expulsion from the library. The disciplinary action chosen will be determined by the severity of the offense and whether it is an isolated or recurring event. Violations of the code that constitute an immediate or apparent threat to the safety of others, their property, or the property of the library will result in immediate expulsion from the library and possible additional measures. In any instance of a code violation, police may be called if there is not compliance or if the staff feels threatened in any way or feels unable to handle the situation.
Appeal Process: A patron whose privileges have been denied may have the decision reviewed by the Broome County Board of Trustees for additional consideration.